Convicted murderer requests trial in separate aggravated assault case
HOULTON, Maine — A Houlton man convicted of murder in October has asked for a trial in another pending case against him.
Reginald Dobbins, 20, was found guilty of murder in June in the beating and stabbing death of 61-year-old Keith Suitter two years ago. He was sentenced to 65 years in prison for the brutal murder after an eight day trial.
On Tuesday, Dobbins requested a jury trial in a felony aggravated assault case that occurred three years ago, according to his attorney, Jeff Pickering.
“He was offered a plea deal, but he rejected it,” said Pickering.
According to Houlton Police, officers were summoned to Court Street on Sept. 11, 2014, to respond to an assault complaint.
Police and special agents from Immigration and Customs Enforcement who responded to the scene found several males, including a 20-year-old who allegedly had been struck in the head with a baseball bat. Several males, including Dobbins, allegedly had chased the victim over a drug deal gone bad, according to police, and Dobbins is accused of hitting the victim in the head with a bat.
“There is a question over whether this is a self-defense case,” Pickering said Wednesday. “The victim allegedly pulled out a knife and held it to Dobbins’ throat.”
The victim was treated at the scene by members of the Houlton Ambulance Department.
Dobbins was arraigned in court the next day when bail was set at $5,000 cash or $500 surety bond. He was released on bail the following day and was ordered by the court to have no contact with the victim and four other people.
He then was arrested on the murder charge in March 2015 and held without bail until convicted.
Pickering said that he will continue to pursue a plea deal for Dobbins in the assault case, which is next scheduled for court review on March 30.