Presque Isle area From Our Files (week of February 7, 2018)
101 Years Ago – February 8, 1917
New office — The M. F. Stevens Registered Silver Fox Co., opened an office at F. V. Haskell’s Shoe Store, Main, St., with Mr. D. C. Coburn as the local representative who was glad to give any desired information to all inquirers. The purpose of this wide-awake company was to build a ranch in town and explanations were made regarding the company’s 10 per cent guaranteed dividends and many other items of financial interest to stockholders. Mr. Stevens had built more ranches and had sold more foxes the last three years than any ten men in the business.
Farm sale — Claude DeWitt sold his farm a half mile out on Caribou Road, containing 110 acres for a very attractive price, to the Perkins Potato Co., of which W. S. Sinnickson was a member. It was rumored to build a warehouse for buying and shipping potatoes either on the farm or on A. V. R. ground at the covered bridge which adjoined their property.
75 Years Ago – February 11, 1943
Beaulieu enrolled — Miss Doris E. Beaulieu, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Paul X. Beaulieu of this city, had been accepted in the Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps and reported for duty. Miss Beaulieu was the second young woman from Presque Isle who had enlisted in this division. A graduate of Presque Isle High School and Aroostook State Normal School, she had been employed as clerk and cashier in Beaulieu’s I.G.A. Grocery owned and operated by her brother, Edmund G. Beaulieu. She had participated in local defense and Red Cross activities.
New PIAAF duties — Second Lt. John F. Hand had been named assistant base personnel officer at Presque Isle Army Airfield, new assistant base adjutant, summary court and classification officer. He was relieved of his duties with the Guard Squadron in favor of the new assignment.
50 Years Ago – February 7, 1968
Drive chairmen — Augusta K. Christie, chairman of the Central Aroostook Chapter of the American Red Cross, at the regular meeting of the Board of directors held at the chapter building in Presque Isle, announced the appointment of William H. Forbes of Washburn as 1968 Fund Campaign chairman for the eight towns which along with Presque Isle make up the Central Aroostook Chapter. Namely Ashland, Easton, Mars Hill, Mapleton, Masardis, Portage, Washburn and Westfield. William R. Wight was appointed as co-chairman of the fund drive.
Good Knight — Six Point Program Chairman John Boyle of Rev. John J. Harris Council Knights of Columbus presented the Knight of the Month Award to Donald Thibodeau for outstanding work done on behalf of the Council.
25 Years Ago – February 10, 1993
Ski champs — The Presque Isle girls and Fort Kent boys captured county championships in high school skiing following the alpine portions of the competition held at Mt. Farlagne in Edmunston. The Wildcat girls finished with a total of 108 points while competing in the county nordic, county relays, giant slalom and slalom events, followed by Madawaska (129), Fort Kent (141) and Caribou (229). The Warrior boys topped the field in the overall standings with 85 points, Madawaska (92), Caribou (253) and Presque Isle (259).
Support conference — Peoples Heritage Bank contributed $500 to the 1993 Teen Conference, which was organized by Aroostook County Action Program Family Planning and scheduled for March 31 at the University of Maine at Presque Isle. Teen Conference coordinator Patsy Rutkauskas accepted the donation from Lori Leach, Peoples Heritage Bank branch manager.
Equipment donation — Durward Huffman, president of Northern Maine Technical College announced the donation of a “clean burn” waste oil burner worth $3,500 to the college. The oil burner was donated to NMTC’s plumbing and heating program by Orino Waste Oil Burners of Rumford.