How the Nylander Museum building came to be
The Nylander Museum was constructed as a Works Progress Administration Project in 1938 and cost approximately $6,000 to complete.
Members of the Caribou chapter of the Garden Club Federation of Maine recognized that Mr. Nylander was long overdue for formal recognition by the community. The members petitioned the city of Caribou and the Maine Legislature to support their quest to build a museum, establish a cultural venue, and ensure the continuance of natural science education in the region.
A collaboration of funding and support from local, state and federal groups fostered the Nylander Museum project.
The site of the building was selected by a committee of local citizens, and is located to the North of what was the Civil War monument in the 1930s. The blueprints were created by architect John LeVasseur of Presque Isle.
Plans called for an attractive one story structure of colonial design with a 75-foot frontage. One central room with adjoining rooms in wings on each side made ample room for display and library.
(This information was obtained from the Nylander Museum and Aroostook Republican archives.)
This column is the work of members of the Nylander Museum’s Board of Trustees.