Top Stories

Kitchen fire damages Houlton home

HOULTON, Maine — An electrical issue may be to blame for a kitchen fire that damaged a home on Franklin Avenue Monday, Sept. 10.

The 23 Franklin Ave. home, which is owned by David and Lynn Gates of Houlton and occupied by their daughter Karen, who was not home at the time the fire broke out, shortly after 9 a.m. Monday.

Because the home was not occupied, the state Fire Marshal’s office was called in to investigate the origin of the fire. The investigation is ongoing, but Houlton Fire Chief Milton Cone said the fire started in the kitchen area and may have been electrical in nature.

Upon arrival, firefighters found a back window to the kitchen area had shattered from the heat. Fire officials were able to contain the bulk of the fire damage to the kitchen, but the house did receive smoke and water damage throughout.

Cone added a neighboring resident spotted smoke coming out of the building and rushed over to the home to let Gates’ dog out of the house. The neighbor reported the house was filled with smoke at that time, but was able to get the animal to safety.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.