Top Stories

Garage fire displaces ducks

HOULTON, Maine — An early morning fire on the Drews Lake Road Friday destroyed a small garage that served as refuge for two ducks.

According to the Brent Estabrook, driver/firefighter for the Houlton Fire Department, firefighters were called at 8:02 a.m. to the 53 Drews Lake Road residence of Dell Carmichael for a report of a fully involved structure fire.

Upon arrival, firefighters found a 20-foot by 30-foot garage engulfed in flames.

Firefighters were able to prevent the fire from spreading to an adjacent garage, but that building did sustain some heat and water damage. The family home was not damaged.

Estabrook said Houlton Fire Chief Milton Cone determined that the fire was electrical in nature and originated from an extension cord running into the garage. The extension cord powered a water heater device for the two ducks owned by Carmichael. Both ducks were able to escape unharmed.

The building also housed an all-terrain vehicle and sports utility vehicle, which were destroyed. The building was a total loss.

Four vehicles and about 15 firefighters responded to the call. Fire officials were at the scene for roughly one hour.

It was undetermined if the property was insured.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.