Hawks play opponents tough; teams in action

15 years ago

    The Hodgdon Hawks had a string of four games against some tough opponents. They battled through two overtime games, splitting the outcome, while dropping another two very close contests.     On Monday, the Hawks met the Washburn Beavers for the second time within a week. The team’s first meeting went into overtime before Washburn squeaked out a 73-70 win. A sub par quarter on Monday was the demise for Hodgdon on Monday, 62-57 against visiting Washburn.
ImagePhotograph by Isaac Brown
NEAR BLOCK – Hodgdon’s Jake Tidd comes from behind to nearly block Ryan Campbell of the Greater Houlton Christian Academy during last Saturday’s game in Hodgdon. Watching the action for GHCA are, from left, Zach Straubel and Jaron Gray.

    The Hawks trailed 15-11 to start the game, but pulled to within a point at halftime, 30-29. But, the Beavers outscored the Hawks, 18-9 in the third to pull away and hold on for the win.
    Chris Williams paced Hodgdon with 16 points, while  A.J. Acott scored 12 points and Josh Hudson added 10 points.
    In the team’s first meeting last Wednesday, the Hawks led 14-8 to open the game, but found themselves trailing at intermission, 24-23. After the third, the score was knotted at 40-all and at the end of regulation, the game was 60-all.
    In overtime, Washburn’s Connor Fitzpatrick, son of former Houlton player Louie and Sheryl Fitzpatrick, turned a couple of half-court steals into layups as the Beavers edged Hodgdon. Fitzpatrick finished with 10 points.
    Mitch Worcester led the Beavers with 29 points, while Chase Chandler scored 17 and Jordan McLaughlin scored 15.
    For Hodgdon, Williams poured in 35 points, while Dan and Andrew McGillicuddy scored 12 points apiece.
     On Saturday, the Hawks hosted GHCA in a game that would go down to the wire before Hodgdon put the Eagles away in overtime.
    The Eagles led 10-8 to start the game, but the Hawks turned the deficit into a 20-14 halftime advantage. The third period saw the score flip-flop in favor of the Eagles, 38-35 before Hodgdon fought back to tie the game in regulation, 50-all.
    The Hawks led 50-47 with 9.6 seconds left, but as time expired, Chad Duff of the Eagles fired in a 3-pointer to tie the game. However, after the referees conferred, 1.6 seconds was put back on the clock, as they said Duff’s shot went through with time left.    
    The Hawks took the ball out under GHCA’s hoop. They threw the ball the length of the court, but it  went out-of-bounds, giving the ball back to the Eagles under their own hoop. The Hawks avoided the scare, as the Eagles couldn’t get a shot off, forcing overtime. In the extra period, the Hawks dominated, outscoring GHCA 13-2 for the 63-52 win.
    Dan McGillicuddy paced Hodgdon with a double-double of 17 points and 21 rebounds, while Jacob Tidd and Andrew McGillicuddy each had 11 points. With Williams fouled out of the contest, Tidd stepped up for his team, controlling the ball and hitting the glass, making a difference in the contest’s outcome.
    For GHCA, who suffered its first loss of the season, Chad Duff and Micah Wiley led the Eagles with 11 points apiece, while Zach Straubel added 10 more.
    The Hawks met Fort Fairfield last Thursday night for another challenging game. The Hawks led 14-13 and 23-20 at halftime. But, the Tigers roared back in the third to tie the score at 40-all making a dramatic final period.
    In the fourth, John McNamee of Fort Fairfield scored five of his 12 points, as the Tigers outscored Hodgdon, 11-6 to take the win.
    Williams followed his 35-point night against Washburn on Wednesday with a 32-point performance against the Tigers. Hudson and D. McGillicuddy each added four points, while A. McGillicuddy chipped in with six more.
ImagePhotograph by Isaac Brown
CONTACT – Hodgdon’s Destiny Ellis makes contact with GHCA’s Mariah Wiley as she goes up for a layup during last Saturday’s game in Hodgdon. The Lady Hawks won, 45-29.

Boys roundup
    The Shiretowners finally got their first win under their belts on Monday after taking a routing last Friday to Madawaska at home.
    Houlton 45, Fort Kent 35 — The Houlton Shiretowners finally got the monkey off their back with a win on Monday in Fort Kent.
    Houlton grabbed a 14-6 opening-quarter lead and built a 24-14 halftime advantage. After the third, the Shires held a 33-20 margin. Fort Kent’s Curtis Bouchard scored 14 of his 23 points in the fourth.
    Jordan Bragan led Houlton with 13 points, while Micah Goetsch added 10 more. Jordan Codrey chipped in with nine points, while Corey Woodworth and Pat Hutchinson scored six and five points, respectively.
    Jonesport Beals 104, East Grand 63 — The Royals overpowered the Vikings on Monday in Danforth, building a 52-24 halftime cushion and a 76-41 third-period lead.
    Three Jonesport Beals players scored 16 points and another had 15.
    Seth Cropley netted a game-high 24 points for East Grand, while Andrew Gilman added 21 and Abe Brittian chipped in with 16 more.
    Madawaska 55, Houlton 21 – On Friday, the Owls broke an 11-all opening-quarter tie to take a 27-15 halftime lead before breaking the game open in the third, 46-17.
    Bragan led Houlton with eight points and Woodworth added seven.
    Katahdin 51, East Grand 29 – Last Thursday in Danforth, the Cougars outscored the Vikings 12-5 in the second period for a 24-9 halftime advantage. After three, Katahdin had extended their lead to 36-17.
    Colton Bivinghouse led the way for Katahdin with 14 points, while Lucas Craig netted 11 more for the winners. Kolby Gallagher and Brandon Robinson each added eight points in the win.
    For the Vikings, Cropley paced the offense with nine points, while Aaron Henn had eight points and Abe Brittian six more.
    GHCA 51, Wisdom 36 — The first half of last Thursday’s game at the University of Maine at Presque Isle was close, as the Eagles held a slim 25-22 halftime lead. In the third, GHCA outscored Wisdom 15-7 for a 40-29 advantage en route to the win.
    Chad Duff led GHCA with 17 points, while Micah Wiley and Jaron Gray each connected for eight and Ethan Holmes six more in the win.
    Girls wrapup
    The Houlton Lady Shires picked up two wins over northern teams this week, along with Hodgdon which added back-to-back wins on Friday and Saturday at home.
    Jonesport Beals 62, East Grand 13 — The Lady Vikings trailed 20-4 to start the game and 31-8 at halftime, as the Royalettes raced by their hosts.
    Jenny Armstrong scored six points for the struggling Lady Vikings.    
    Katahdin 92, East Grand 18 — The Lady Cougars led 26-4 to open the game and by the third were ahead 72-10.
    Olivia McNally fired in 28 points, while Megan Merry and Melissa Duffy each tallied 13 points. Dani-Beth Cyr and Kali Rush added 12 and 10 points, respectively.
    For East Grand, Elisha Farley totaled four points and seven rebounds.
    Houlton 70, Fort Kent 59 — Free throw shooting proved pivotal for the Lady Shires last Thursday, as the team went 18-for-22, with Vanessa Sanderson hitting 11-of-12 from the line.
    The Lady Shires turned a one-point advantage into a 14-point halftime lead, 32-18, outscoring Fort Kent 21-8 in the second quarter. After three, Houlton stayed ahead 49-38.
    Amanda Fogarty led Houlton’s scoring with 20 points, while Sanderson netted 17 more. Martha McPartland collected 10 points, while Taylor Bailey and Tori Hanson finished with eight and seven, respectively.
    GHCA 41, Wisdom 35 — The Lady Eagles built a 21-10 halftime margin only to watch it fizzle away in the third, 24-19, as Wisdom started its comeback. In the decisive fourth, Mariah Wiley scored nine of her 16 points and went 8-for-9 from the line to lift GHCA to the win last Thursday at UMPI.
    GHCA’s Lauren Bishop netted 12 points and Selena Michaud chipped in five points.
    Hodgdon 45, GHCA 29 —         Last Saturday, the Lady Hawks and visiting GHCA girls were tied through the first half of action, 15-all, with Hodgdon gaining a bit of ground after the third, 24-20. But, in the final period, the Lady Hawks turned the intensity up a notch and outscored GHCA 21-9 for the win.
    Cierra Willette and Chelsea Sloat scored eight points apiece for Hodgdon, while Jillian London powered in seven more.
    For GHCA, Wiley led the way with 12 points before exiting the game after she hit her head on the hardwood during rebounding action. Kiki Smart added five points.
    Hodgdon 34, LCS/MSSM 23 — At Hodgdon last Friday, the Lady Hawks led 16-11 at halftime, but outscored Limestone/MSSM 8-2 in the third for a 24-13 advantage en route to the win.
    Brittany Davies scored seven points and hauled down eight rebounds, while Whitney Wallace and Haley Quint combined for 12 points (each with six) and Destiny Ellis grabbed six rebounds.
    Houlton 47, Madawaska 32 — Last Saturday, the Lady Shires led 14-7 after one and extended their lead to 28-19 at halftime. Over three, the Lady Shires remained in control, 37-22.
    Sanderson fired in a game-high 18 points, while McPartland added 14 points for Houlton.