Caribou area From our Files – Week of June 17, 2019
115 Years Ago – June 22, 1904
Sewer — The Caribou Sewer Company has been organized for the purpose of operating a system of sewers in Caribou with $10,000 Capital Stock. The officers are George W. Irving of Caribou, president; John P. Donworth of Caribou, treasurer.
75 Years Ago – June 22, 1944
Hopper named police chief — Mr. Frank R. Hopper of Millinocket arrived in Caribou early this week and officially started his duties as Chief of the Caribou Police Department on Tuesday morning. Mr. Hopper acted with the Police Department at Millinocket for four years and has also served as Deputy Sheriff of Penobscot County for over two years.
50 Years Ago – June 25, 1969
New school planning — A meeting open to all interested citizens will be held at Limestone High School at 8 o’clock tonight to discuss proposed six-year high school construction. Preliminary site and building plans will be displayed. Representatives of the School Building Committee and the architectural firm will answer any questions presented. The proposed building represents a substantial addition to the physical facilities in the Limestone School System.
Hoofers elect officers — The Caribou Hoofers Square Dance group held its annual club meeting at the Rec Center. New committees were elected as follows: Mr. and Mrs. Gerry Williard, chairmen; Mr. and Mrs. Basil Ferguson, vice chairman and hospitality committee; Mr. and Mrs. Reginald Ward, treasurers; Mr. and Mrs. Fred Manzer, lessons; Mr. and Mrs. Richard McDougal, refreshments; and Mr. and Mrs. Vayne Bither, publicity. Mr. and Mrs. Philip Thorton conducted the meeting and the calendar for next year was set up.
25 Years Ago – June 22, 1994
Swedish roots documentary — “Homecoming,” a half-hour documentary produced for Maine Public Television by Maine native Brenda Nasberg, will be shown in the Parish Hall of the Gustaf Adolph Lutheran Church in New Sweden at 3:30 p.m. Saturday, June 25, as part of the annual Midsommar Celebration. The $2 admission fee will benefit restoration projects of Maine’s Swedish Colony. This documentary was produced with the help of the Maine Swedish Colony Inc. and funded in part by Portland Volvo. The showing, partly funded by the Maine Humanities Council, features a Maine grandfather and grandson who discover their Swedish roots. Following the premiere, Nasberg and Dan Olson of the Scandinavian Department of the University of Chicago, will answer questions regarding the film and the search for Swedish ancestry.
Museum summer hours — The New Sweden Museum will be open Tuesday through Saturday from 12 until 4 p.m. and Sundays from 2 until 5 p.m. during the summer season. The public is invited to tour the three floors of the immigrant collection as well as Lindsten Stuga, a restored settlers cottage, located behind the museum. Among the new items available for purchase are “New Sweden, Maine: A Noble Experiment,” a reprinted brief town history written in 1948 by the Rev. Wally Cedarleaf, then pastor of the Covenant Church, as an award-winning entry in a contest sponsored by the Swedish-American Line. Also available is a new color postcard of the museum, photographed by JeAnne Preston.