The Star-Herald

Masks present a medical dilemma

To the editor:

I write today in complete dismay regarding a recent medical visit to the Northern Light A.R. Gould Hospital Imaging Center. 

Upon entry, I was told by the receptionist I had to wear a mask. I stated I do not wear a mask for medical reasons and was asked to wait for a moment so the receptionist made what I assume were calls to either a supervisor or co-worker on what to do. I moved a few feet from the receptionist area and when I did, I was told by the receptionist in a “military-like” way to move back to where I was previously standing. The waiting area was empty, and within a few minutes the receptionist indicated they would need to reschedule me since I did not have a doctor’s waiver to not wear a mask. 

At this point, I felt completely violated for having been treated with controlling tactics. My primary provider, Katahdin Valley Health Center, recently accommodated me so I could be seen without a mask. I have written to the hospital administrator, Mr. Greg LaFrancois, and have had no reply to date. Mind you, I never was told during a confirmation phone call that I had to wear a mask or provide a doctor’s waiver, and that is against ADA and HIPAA rules for them to even ask it. I won’t be party to any more abuse from this hospital. Readers should be aware of this experience and decide whether to use this hospital or not. 

Mary Bushey
Ashland 

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.