Caribou area From our Files – Week of April 5, 2021
100 Years Ago – April 7, 1921
Real estate — Quite a large transaction in real estate occurred recently when the large block on the corner of Main and Sweden Streets also known as the Holmes Block was purchased by H.O. Spencer and W.L. Collins.
Ice cream parlor — In the 1920s, an ice cream parlor was a popular place to gather in Stockholm. Located on Main Street, this business was begun by Alicia Nelson and Lillian Erickson. Later it was operated by Lillian and her sister, Annie Fogelin. This building was replaced in 1948 by a new house for the Fogelins. It is located next to the present-day Stockholm Museum.
75 Years Ago – April 3, 1946
Utilities committee and library trustees receive appointments — Appointments to the Public Utilities Committee of Caribou were given to W.P. Hamilton, L.W. Wellington and Fred Norton at a recent session of the town council, according to an announcement made by town manager William Burns.
History — The history of Caribou, from the coming of the Bangor and Aroostook Railroad in 1895 to the time of its first settlement in 1929, is the subject of a new book offered this week at the Caribou Public Library. The author of the book is Stella King White of Houlton. The book identifies many of the area’s first families and locals and describes their homes.
50 Years Ago – April 7, 1971
Program — Mrs. Clara Piper, granddaughter of Samuel Wilson Collins, who founded the lumber industry in Caribou in 1844, will present a program called “The History of Lumbering in Aroostook” at the monthly meeting of the Caribou Historical Society on April 20.
Trip — Stella Corey and her husband Farris of Caribou will travel to Washington, D.C., for the presentation of a bicentennial gift to U.S. President Gerald Ford. Their trip is sponsored by the City of Caribou.
25 Years Ago – April 3, 1996
Eyeglasses for needy — Caribou pdostal worker Dale Nason prepared three boxes for mailing out used eyeglasses to be sent to the New England School of Optometry Services of Humanity Organization to be recycled and distributed at free clinics in Mexico and Central America. Lions club members Robert Crawford and John Lancaster, chairman of the Lions Eyeglass Recycling Program said each box contains 600-700 pairs of used glasses that were donated.
Supporting the arts — Dale Dee, division manager for Maine Public Service Company, recently accepted on behalf of Maine Yankee a monetary donation to support the Caribou Performing Arts Center. Dan Ladner of the Arts Center accepted the donation.