Caribou area From our Files – Week of May 5, 2021
100 Years Ago – May 4, 1921
New grocer in town — George Giggy has opened a grocery and confectionary store in the Buzzell building on South main Street in Caribou.
Manager of import business — Dennis Billington of Caribou, has accepted the position of manager of the Direct Importing Company in Fort Fairfield.
75 Years Ago – May 1, 1946
Treasurer — Morris Daniels of Caribou was named treasurer of the newly-formed Maine Frozen Food and Locker Operator Association at the Penobscot Hotel last Sunday.
Air service — A Monday hearing by the Civil Aeronautics Board examiners gave Caribou citizens hope that air service might be returned to their area.
50 Years Ago – May 4, 1971
Diseased tree plan — In an effort to replenish trees perishing from the Dutch Elm Disease, Caribou City Manager Terry St. Peter announced the first step of the implementation of Caribou’s Tree Program, which involves removing as many elm trees as possible that are dead or dying of the disease.
Funding approved for dam — Limestone’s town manager, Martin Kaufer, has received a letter from the State Department of Conservation stating that the town’s request for the funding of its community dam project has been approved.
25 Years Ago – May 1, 1996
Supports soccer project — Myrtle Stevens, junior vice president of the Ladies Auxiliary to Lister Knowlton VFW Post 9389 of Caribou, recently made a monetary donation to support the Woodland Consolidated School’s soccer field project.
EDA funding arrives — U.S. Senators Olympia Snowe and William Cohen, along with Rep. John Balducci, announced that Limestone has received a $1 million economic grant for dormitory renovations at the Maine School of Science and Mathematics. The project is under construction with Cyr Construction of Caribou, as general contractor. The grant will provide housing for 150 students this fall.