Fort Kent girls soccer edges out Houlton to remain undefeated

3 years ago

FORT KENT, Maine — The Warrior girls soccer team moved to 10-0 on the season Monday with a second half comeback win over the Houlton Shiretowners in Fort Kent.

Fort Kent defeated Houlton 3-2 during the teams’ only matchup of the regular season. A second meeting, slated to be played in Houlton, was postponed earlier this season. The game was initially going to be made up Oct. 14, but would have resulted in Fort Kent playing five games in seven days. 

With the playoffs looming, that game will not be rescheduled.

In Monday’s game, Houlton started quickly, putting added pressure on the Warriors.

“It truly was a tale of two halves,” Fort Kent coach Doug Cyr said. 

The Shires dominated the first 40 minutes, taking a 2-0 lead into the halftime break on goals by Maddie Marino and Gabby Gentle, on a Marino assist. 

“We knew going in Houlton would be a strong team as they are traditionally a great battle to the end,” Cyr said. “First half we over thought the game and played on our heels the entire time. At halftime, I challenged the girls to start playing Fort Kent soccer — avoid just getting rid of (the ball) and make our plays happen.”

He added that once the team scored its first goal, the pressure was off and the Warriors were able to start moving the ball more efficiently.

Hannah Lovely scored two goals within a minute of one another to tie things up with just under 13 minutes left in play, one assisted by Julia Cyr.

With the Warrior momentum back in full swing, Morgan Cyr scored the game winner assisted by Julia Cyr.

Warrior keeper Larissa Daigle had 10 saves on 12 shots. Mia Henderson had 8 saves on 11 shots for the Shires who moved to 6-2 on the season.

In the boys contest, the Warriors also took down Houlton with an 8-0 shutout on Monday, 

Ethan Daigle scored an unassisted goal in the first half of play for a 1-0 lead at the break.

The second half saw two goals by Keegan Cyr, one assisted by Kaden Theriault; two Austin Delisle goals, both assisted by Theriault; a goal by Theriault, assisted by Cyr; and another Theriault goal, assisted by Delisle. Ethan Daigle sealed the win with an unassisted goal with just under three minutes left in the game. 

The Fort Kent boys improved to 8-2 on the season with the win. Houlton dropped to 1-6 with the loss. 

FORT KENT, Maine — October 11, 2021 — Allee Morgan of Fort Kent and Maddie Marino of Houlton chase down a soccer ball during a game in Fort Kent on Monday. (Jessica Potila | St. John Valley Times)

FORT KENT, Maine — October 11, 2021 — Houlton’s Adrian Norton and Warrior Nathan Voisine race for the ball at a soccer match up in Fort Kent on Monday. (Jessica Potila | St. John Valley Times)