Rossignol goal lifts Viking boys, girls fall in overtime

     The Caribou varsity soccer teams were back home Saturday and each team played matches with one-goal margins. The boys won theirs, 1-0, over Old Town, while the girls suffered a 4-3 overtime loss to the Coyotes.

     The Viking boys improved to 2-3 as junior Andre Rossignol scored on a header off senior Michael Hunter’s corner kick during the first half. That goal held up as Ethan Plourde (11 saves) and the Caribou defense did the rest in shutting down Old Town.

     “Ethan came up big in net for us. He was very vocal from the back and made some great saves,” said Caribou coach Kyle Corrigan. “Our back line deserves a lot of credit for the shutout as well.  We challenged our defense in practice this week and they responded great. They worked hard every single day and they carried that work ethic into the game to help us get the win.”

     In the girls’ game, Viking junior Maddie Doucette scored twice and sophomore Gabrielle Marquis netted a single goal, but Old Town proved too much. Mikayla Richards’ goal 3:32 into the second overtime gave the Coyotes the victory. Richards scored earlier in the contest and Emily Hussey also had a pair of goals for the winners.

     Caribou held a 24-11 advantage in shots on goal, with Jaelynn Doody saving six for the Vikes and Natalie St. Louis 13 for Old Town.

     The local squads were at Madawaska Tuesday and host Ellsworth Saturday afternoon.

     The Limestone-MSSM squads were able to sweep Van Buren last Tuesday for their first wins of the fall. In the girls’ 5-0 triumph, Kassee Albert had a pair of goals, while Francesca Armstrong, Sarah Hemphill and Bridget Thompson each notched one.

     The Eagle boys claimed a 3-2 win behind a clutch goal by Garrett Barb, who broke a tie by scoring with a minute to play in regulation. Tobyn Blatt had Limestone-MSSM’s other two goals, while Matt Burgess and Noah Lajoie had Van Buren’s goals.

     Both teams take 1-2 records into Thursday’s games at Fort Fairfield.

     The Fort Fairfield teams captured shutout wins over East Grand in their only matches last week and stayed undefeated in the process.

     The girls shredded the Vikings, 10-0, as Chelsey Pelkey put in three goals and had assists on three others. Taylor Churchill also scored three times and notched an assist to help power the offense.

     Sarah Watt recorded the shutout by saving four shots.

     The FF boys took a 9-0 victory as Chris Giberson scored three goals and Isaac Cyr and Jonah Daigle two each to spearhead the winning attack. In goal, Dalton Cassidy saved six shots for the shutout.

     The Tigers took on Ashland in crucial matches played at Fort Fairfield Tuesday.

     The Washburn boys shut out Wisdom Friday, 4-0, with all the goals scored by senior forward Noah Caron, all in the second half. McCall Turner assisted on two of the goals and Caleb Thompson had the shutout in goal.

     At Easton Monday, Justin Davis scored with 1:15 left in the second half as Washburn tied the Bears, 3-3. Jovanni Taveras and Caron provided the other goals for the 6-4-1 Beavers, while Drew Sotomayor had a hat trick for Easton. The game was halted three minutes into overtime due to lightning.

     The Washburn girls lost their second consecutive 1-0 game to Easton. The latest one, played Monday, saw Izzy Morin of the Bears score the lone goal. The Beavers, who also fell to Wisdom Friday, 8-2, are now 1-9-1 and have been shut out seven times.

     The Beaver teams now face a lengthy break due to the harvest recess. They do not play another regular season match until Oct. 15, when they take on Van Buren.