Police respond to two rollovers

17 years ago

    PRESQUE ISLE, Maine – Police were kept busy Monday, August 27, responding to two rollovers in a four-hour period.
The Presque Isle Police Department received the first call at approximately 6:55 a.m. reporting a rollover accident on the McBurnie Road. According to the investigating officer, Brian McQuarrie, Aaron Keirsead, 24, of Presque Isle, was operating a 1975 Chevy truck when he tried to make a turn exiting a field and rolled the truck.

   “Keirstead was driving a truck primarily used on the farm. Keirstead had just exited a field road and was turning left onto the McBurnie Road. The passenger side tires got off the pavement and the truck rolled over onto its side,” said McQuarrie.
The vehicle rolled into a marshy area and the ground was soft, so damage was minimal to the truck, said McQuarrie.
Keirstead was not injured as the result of the accident.
There were pesticides and herbicides on the truck at the time of the accident. The DEP was notified and responded to contain whatever spilled in the marshy area.
No charges are pending. McQuarrie was assisted at the scene by Trooper Chuck Michaud of the Maine State Police, members of the Presque Isle Fire Department and DEP. T.A. Service was called to upright the truck.
McQuarrie responded to a second rollover at around 11:30 a.m., this time on the Fort Road just short of the intersection with the Parkhurst Siding Road.
“Christopher Hitchcock, 20, of Fort Fairfield, was traveling west on the Fort Road and was attempting to pass a vehicle that was being driven by Jon Rodriguez, 31, of Caribou. As Hitchcock was passing the Rodriguez vehicle, he (Hitchcock) observed an eastbound vehicle. Hitchcock turned right to avoid a collision, lost control, overcorrected and went off the right side of the road, lost control, ending up off the road on the left,” said McQuarrie.
Hitchcock then crossed both lanes, leaving the roadway on the opposite side and rolled his 2001 GMC pickup several times. He received minor cuts and abrasions and was transported to The Aroostook Medical Center by Crown Ambulance where he was treated and later released. Hitchcock was wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash.
Cowett’s Towing was contacted to remove the vehicle from the field. Zane Grant, a driver with Cowett’s, helped Sgt. Laurie Kelley, who was assisting at the scene, in picking up debris, including a ladder, spilled from the truck when it rolled. An air compressor proved too heavy to move immediately and plans were made to remove it later.
The truck was totaled as the result of the accident.
The investigation is ongoing.