Sierra Club endorses Gideon for Senate
SOUTH FREEPORT, Maine — The Sierra Club announced on Sept. 2 its endorsement of Sara Gideon in her campaign for the U.S. Senate, citing her long record of fighting climate change and working to protect Maine’s natural resources.
“Sierra Club is proud to endorse Speaker Gideon in the race for U.S. Senate,” said Sue Levene, executive committee chairwoman of the Maine chapter of the Sierra Club.
“As Speaker of the House, Sara Gideon has been a capable and strong advocate for Maine. We are confident that Gideon will be a tireless environmental advocate standing up for the rights of Mainers to access clean air, clean water, and a livable climate.”
“Here in Maine, we feel the impact of climate change on our environment and our economy, as its impacts threaten our woods and waters and our traditional industries like lobstering and logging,” said Gideon. “Mainers deserve a senator who will protect our environment and take bold and immediate action on climate change. In the State House, we worked to protect our natural resources, invest in renewable energy, and reduce carbon emissions. I’m ready to bring that kind of leadership to Washington and I’m proud to have Sierra Club’s endorsement.”
Guidelines for inclusion in Campaign Corner
This space on our website is reserved for:
- Campaign events, staffing announcements, etc.
- Statements from the candidate on his/her views.
- Informative items about national candidates of County interest.
- No attacks against other candidates will be accepted.
- We reserve the right to edit for clarity, grammar and libelous content, and to limit frequency.
- The viewpoints expressed do not necessarily reflect the views of Bangor Publishing.