RSU 50 looking into ‘serious threats’ allegedly made by students
DYER BROOK, Maine — Multiple students have been suspended from Southern Aroostook Community School as RSU 50 and local law enforcement look into “serious threats” allegedly made by the students, some using social media.
RSU 50 superintendent Jon Porter said that the students identified with allegedly making the unspecified threats were suspended, not expelled, but that the school was continuing to look into the case. Further punishments could be warranted, he said.
The school is also looking into the motive behind the alleged threats.
“We also have handed out discipline here at the school, consistent with our student code of conduct,” Porter said. “That process is ongoing.”
In a letter to parents dated Dec. 31, Porter said police had been notified of the alleged threats, and that recently a gun had been found in a student’s car. Porter did not say whether the gun was connected to the alleged threats.
He said while a small number of students were involved, they had made “serious threats.”
“I want to emphasize for all of you that I believe that our schools, and all of your children are safe,” Porter said in the letter. “We believe that we have identified all those involved in this misbehavior, and have undertaken firm, clear steps to make sure that this does not happen again.”
Porter urged parents to educate their children about proper social media use, and to report any threats made to their children to school administrators.
“I would also ask you to join us in educating all children about the proper use of social media, and the importance of never using it to threaten others in any way,” he wrote. “I would greatly appreciate it if you can help in reinforcing this important message with all of our students.”