Caribou area From our Files – Week of August 2, 2023

11 months ago

115 Years Ago – July 30, 1908

Blacksmith shop sold — The firm of Hight & Page have bought the blacksmith shop of S. M. Straight; Mr. Straight has purchased the Denton blacksmith shop of Lewis Denton, who bought the interest of his brother, Ludlow, a short time ago; and Lewis Denton has in turn purchased the Griffeth Hall farm on the Presque Isle road. Mr. Straight will occupy the Denton shop next Monday.

Another home being built – John F. Harmon is building a new home on Park Street, making that the third house on that street which he has erected.

100 Years Ago – Aug. 2, 1923

Appointed with new duties — Fred Ullrich of New Sweden has been appointed by the Maine Potato Growers Exchange as manager of the Caribou District, and entered upon his duties this week. The long years of experience which Mr. Ullrich has had in the potato business, abundantly qualified for his new duties.

Accepted new position — Caribou people will be interested to know that Miss Harriet Trask has accepted a position as advance agent for the Community Chautauqua, and on Thursday afternoon she left to take up her new duties. Miss Trask was chairman of the Junior Chautauqua Committee during the recent visit of the Chautauqua to Caribou.

75 Years Ago – July 29, 1948

Large crowd attends the New Sweden anniversary — A large gathering attended the 78th anniversary of the settling of New Sweden Sunday afternoon at Thomas Park. Services were conducted there in the spacious music bowl. Mrs. Agnes Anderson, 83, the only remaining survivor of the 51 Swedish settlers who, under the leadership of W. W. Thomas founded the town, was present at the celebration. Clifford O. T. Wieden, principal of the Aroostook State Normal school and a former resident of New Sweden, gave the afternoon address. The Union choir under the direction of Mrs. Egon Espling and the New Sweden Concert band directed by Walter E. Hedman furnished selections. 

Double golden wedding anniversary celebrated by two sisters today — The St. Bruno church at Van Buren this morning was the scene of a double golden wedding anniversary when two families attended the A.M. mass. After the church service both groups planned to hold receptions at the Knights of Columbus halls. The principals of the double wedding anniversary were Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Gagnon, and Mr. and Mrs. Napoleon Lapierre. They were married 50 years ago on January 11, 1898.  Mrs. Gagnon is the former Madeline Jacques, while Mrs. Lapierre was Dina Jacques before her marriage. Both are sisters. On January 11 of this year, both families had a reunion and it was then that they determined the date for the present anniversary celebration.

25 Years Ago – Aug. 5, 1998

Anniversary couples — On July 12, Mr. and Mrs. Almon R. McDougal and Mr. and Mrs. Floyd A. Jepson, all of New Sweden, celebrated their 50th wedding anniversaries. Almon McDougal and Marilyn Taylor were wed on June 19, 1948 and Floyd Jepson and Elaine Taylor were wed on Aug. 19, 1948, both at the New Sweden First Baptist Church. The anniversary festivities included a special afternoon service at the church followed by a traditional reception in the church’s fellowship hall. Hartley Jepson, who sang at the weddings in 1948, also sang at the service.Wood-products company planning to move to Caribou — Value-added wood products are coming to Caribou. Valley Woodworking of Van Buren is relocating to the Access Highway. Maurice Martin of Van Buren is purchasing the Agway building to gain more space for his woodworking business. Valley Woodworking has been in business for four years and has been continually expanding. Martin started his cabinet-making and custom woodworking shop in a one-car garage. Since that time he purchased a building and is running out of space again.