Top Stories

Boiler failure leads to student dismissal at SACS

DYER BROOK, Maine — Students at Southern Aroostook Community School were sent home early Wednesday after one of the building’s heating units stopped working.

Superintendent Todd LeRoy said Wednesday that one of two heating boilers at SACS stopped working sometime Wednesday morning. Students were dismissed for the day at 11:15 a.m., which was long enough to constitute a full day.

LeRoy said school officials tried to get by with just one functioning boiler, but with temperatures hovering near zero, it became clear that the single heating unit could not provide enough heat for the entire school.

“One of the things that I was worried about when I first came here last year was the boilers at Southern Aroostook,” LeRoy said. “I believe they are the original boilers for this building. We were able to get by last year, but when one of them failed today, we decided to send the students home.”

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.