From Our Files
Headlines from 102 years of local news
102 Years Ago – October 29, 1914
Tradings — Messrs. Randolph Kierstead and Ernest Churchill had exchanged places, Mr. Kierstead trading his farm on the Woodland Road for Mr. Churchill’s new house on Churchill Street.
Bushels of potatoes — G. F. Snow, General Agent for the B&A Railroad, informed the Star-Herald that there were 282,016 bushels of potatoes delivered at Northern Maine Junction during the week of October 17-22 inclusive.
75 Years Ago – October 30, 1941
Radio station construction — Construction of the mammoth radio station for the Air Base, located one mile out of the city on the Caribou Road, had begun as U.S. engineers and contractors continued to pile on the work in the hope of completing the bulk of the construction program before King Winter maintained permanent residence. The T.W. Cunningham Construction Company, holder of the radio station contract, had also started the erection of the PIAB Headquarter Building, a large administration structure.
Northeast Airlines expands — Twenty-four passenger Douglas airplanes were inaugurated and placed in service to and from all airports in Maine, including those in Aroostook County, and from Maine points to Moncton, New Brunswick, announced by Samuel J. Soloman, president of Northeast Airlines.
50 Years Ago – November 3, 1966
Mrs. Dennis heads program — Central Aroostook Action Program President Jim Coffey announced that Mrs. Lydia N. Dennis was elected as the program’s first executive director. She was previously employed by the University of Maine Extension Service in Central Aroostook with the responsibility for developing educational programs for youth in the area and assisting with community development agencies.
Stetson represents PI — The Presque Isle Industrial Council announced that Mr. C.H. Stetson represented the city before the All-America Cities Award Jury. The jury selected 11 winning cities from the 22 cities, including Presque Isle, not yet eliminated from the competition. Stetson, president of Maine Public Service Company, had been a member of the Industrial Council since the group was established in 1961.
25 Years Ago – October 30, 1991
Charity Shipmates — Over 50 employees of the Maine Mutual Fire Insurance Company’s Presque Isle office participated in an innovative United Way of Aroostook’s annual fundraising campaign. Called “Save the Pirate,” the program entertained workers while raising $4,300, which was $1,000 more than the company’s goal.
TAMC president appointed — David A. Peterson, president and chief executive officer of The Aroostook Medical Center, was installed as a member of the Maine Hospital Association’s board of directors at the Association’s 54th annual meeting. Peterson was appointed TAMC’s president and chief executive officer in 1987. Prior to that, he held the position of chief financial officer at the health center.