Top Stories

Four agencies involved in high speed chase that leads to Caribou man’s arrest

FORT FAIRFIELD, Maine — Police arrested a Caribou man Sunday after they say the fugitive wanted on five outstanding warrants led officers from multiple agencies on a high speed chase through Fort Fairfield in a stolen vehicle.

Officers took Sean Lee, 32, of Caribou into custody after he led members of four law enforcement agencies on a high speed chase, according to a press release from Chief Deputy Shawn Gillen of the Aroostook County Sheriff’s Office. Multiple charges are pending from the Fort Fairfield Police Department.

Lee was wanted on five outstanding warrants, including three unpaid fines, failure to appear in court for a theft charge and a warrant for allegedly violating probation, said Fort Fairfield Police Officer Ed Dubie.

Lee allegedly stole a Chevy Malibu belonging to a Fort Fairfield resident and was located by police in the parking lot of Rite Aid, according to a press release from the Fort Fairfield Police Department. When Dubie attempted to arrest him, Lee quickly backed up the stolen car and nearly struck Dubie and the patrol car, according to the release.

Fort Fairfield police first pursued Lee for about five miles and called on other law enforcement agencies, including from the sheriff’s office and U.S. Border Patrol.

After Fort Fairfield police stopped their pursuit due to safety concerns, sheriff’s deputies met the speeding vehicle on the Dorsey Road south of downtown Fort Fairfield.

Lee told a sheriff’s office dispatcher over the phone “that he was armed and was not going to surrender to officers peacefully,” according to the sheriff’s office release.

In the course of the chase, Lee also attempted to force a Caribou police cruiser off the road, according to Gillen.

The chase ended when a Border Patrol agent used a tactical maneuver with his vehicle to stop Lee about two miles from where the chase had begun.

The stolen vehicle stopped near Deputy Sheriff Roy Guidry, who ordered Lee to show his hands and exit the vehicle, according to police. When Lee refused and started to reach between his legs, Guidry fired a bean bag that broke the vehicle’s side window and struck Lee.

Lee then was taken into custody and transported to The Aroostook Medical Center in Presque Isle to be treated for injuries that police said were not life threatening.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.