Overloaded power strip deemed cause of Limestone fire

5 years ago

LIMESTONE, Maine — Volunteers with the Limestone Fire Department quickly put out a residential fire on Sept. 17 and ultimately deemed the cause to be an overloaded power strip.

Chief Jon Poitras said the department received the call at about 6:24 a.m. and, with the help of one engine and three firefighters from Caribou Fire and Ambulance, were able to clear out in about an hour.

The fire, which occurred at 6C Manser Drive, is not under investigation as the crew was able to clearly determine its cause. Poitras said the building was insured, but the contents of the apartment were not.

He estimates the fire caused roughly $10,000 worth of damage. The bedroom where the fire occurred experienced the most damage, while smoke and water damage impacted adjacent rooms.

“Everybody made it out OK,” he said. “There were pets in the building, and they all made it out safe too.”