Supporting Bernard’s candidacy

4 years ago

To the Editor, 

I am writing today to express my strong support for Sue Bernard’s candidacy for Maine House District 149. As a lifelong Republican who served eight years in the Maine Legislature and who grew up in Fort Fairfield, I believe Sue has what it takes to represent Caribou, New Sweden and Westmanland with honor, class, and dignity.

Sue is a hard worker who cares about the people in her community. She has shown this throughout her entire career at Catholic Charities, WAGM and Northern Maine Community College.

Sue listens to people, puts their needs first, and believes that you must work with people from many different backgrounds and political beliefs in order to get things done for your community. She is smart, engaging and competent. Although she has never served in the Legislature, she knows that politics, and public policy, are about communication, about keeping people in her community engaged and involved in the decision making process, about creating unity and consensus instead of division. 

You might ask why someone from Washington County would say all of this. I say it because I grew up in northern Maine and have always held The County close to my heart. I care about the area I called home, and believed that both Aroostook and Washington counties had to work together in the Legislature to get things done. That was the case when I served both in the House and Senate, and I firmly believe Sue shares this belief as well. She will be a great representative for rural Maine, and she will do so in a way that brings people together while clearly advocating for small-town, conservative values. 

Whether you are a Republican or an independent considering voting in the primary July 14, please consider throwing your support behind Sue Bernard. 

Hon. Joyce A. Maker
Calais