Houlton area From Our Files — Week of May 29, 2019
115 Years Ago – May 27, 1904
Moving — A crew of men under J. B. Brewer are engaged this week in moving the J.G. Chadwick house from High Street to a lot on Heywood Street. Mr. Chadwick recently sold his house on High St. to Messers, Nickerson & Kinney, the real estate magnates.
A good sale — The ladies of Fidelity Chapter, O.E.S., made about $100 at their sale of ice cream and fancy articles Wednesday. The money from this affair will be devoted to the building of a fireplace in their Crescent Park cottage.
100 Years Ago – May 28, 1919
New ice-cream resort — Houlton has many attractive ice-cream parlors but none are more attractive than that just opened in the new Masonic Building next to the Temple Theatre. Moody J. Gerow, who was employed at Palmer’s Kandy Kitchen for a number of years, is the new proprietor and he will be assisted by Mrs. Gerow, and these new quarters with the tables in the little gallery make it a place which cannot fail to please Houlton people.
75 Years Ago – June 1, 1944
Accepted position — Mrs. Frances C. McCaskell has accepted a position in the office of the Southern Aroostook chapter of the American Red Cross.
Success! — Two thousand poppies were sold by the American Legion Auxiliary and their aides on Saturday and more could have been sold had they been available. Financially this was the most successful Poppy Day ever conducted by the Auxiliary and they wish to thank the public for its cooperation and generosity. Girls who sold and were awarded prizes were: Betty Cone, first; Jean Lambert, second; Norma Leavitt, third. Joyce Leavitt also sold. Boys who were awarded prizes were: Alfred Astle, first; John Pomroy, second; Billy Holden, third. Other boys who sold were James Holden, Kenneth Fortier, Harold Astle and David Putnam. Ladies who sold poppies were Mesdames Hazel Stevens, Beatrice Helms, Julia Russell, Ann McDade, Hope Lovely, Ida Leavitt, Virginia Spaulding and Edna Chapman.
50 Years Ago – June 4, 1969
Newspaper on microfilm — Leland O. Ludwig Jr., chairman of the board of trustees of the Cary Library, has announced that the library now has a collection of early local newspapers on microfilm. The Aaron A. Putnam Memorial Fund made possible the microfilming of the Aroostook Times from the first issue in 1859 up to the year 1910. Some of the original newspapers in bound volumes had deteriorated to the point that it was necessary to withdraw them from use.
Honored on retirement — Three teachers in SAD 29 have retired after a combined service in education of 102 years. Mrs. Avis Lewin, Lambert School; Mrs. Celia McGillicuddy, Longfellow School; and Mrs. Mildred Porter, Bowdoin Street School.
25 Years Ago – June 1, 1994
Honored — Carole Bates, RN-C, staff nurse on the obstetrical unit at Houlton Regional Hospital, received an invitation to the governor’s tea celebrating National Nurses Day on May 17, an annual event recognizing the nursing profession’s contribution to Maine and the nation. Carole has been a staff nurse at HRH for 18 years and was recognized for her contribution to the greater Houlton area.
Prize winner — Brent McGuire, of DBJ McGuire, Inc., congratulated Andy McGary on winning a Lawn Boy mower at their open house. The event celebrated the recent expansion of DBJ McGuire facility on North Road in Houlton. Other prize winners included Rachel Horton who received a Husqvarna weed trimmer, and Mike Marshall, recipient of a $25 gift certificate.