Sparklers cause fire that destroys Fort Kent home

3 weeks ago

Sparklers lit indoors caused a fire on Monday that destroyed a home in Fort Kent, killing two dogs and a cat.

The department got the call at 1:28 p.m. and went to the home at 98 Brookside Drive, said Fort Kent Fire Chief Ed Endee. Eighteen firefighters from Fort Kent and seven from Eagle Lake and Frenchville responded. They fought the flames for about two hours, but the building was deemed a total loss.

“It was [burning] really good when we got there,” Endee said.”We stretched two lines and put water on it, and eventually got it out.”

He said the crew went in as quickly as they could to save the pets, but the home was cluttered and difficult to navigate, and they were unable to find them in time. There were also two parents and three children in the home at the time, according to the chief.

No one was injured, Endee said.

Endee said the state fire marshal let them handle the investigation locally, as it was clear that the incident was caused by sparklers lit by children indoors.

“They got a couch going, and it wiped out the whole place. It’s still standing, but it’s not repairable,” Endee said.

He got the family in touch with the Red Cross, who will be helping them relocate in the aftermath of the fire.

Endee said it is unclear whether the homeowner was insured.

He said it is important to never use fireworks indoors.

“Don’t be using fireworks that are intended to be used outside, inside, ever,” he said. “Never do that, because this shows how it can get away from you real quickly.”