Mapleton fire leaves man displaced and home burnt

4 years ago

MAPLETON, Maine — A shed fire in Mapleton on Tuesday night left a man displaced and caused extensive damage to a nearby home, the Mapleton, Chapman and Castle Hill Fire Department said Wednesday.

The fire department was sent to a report of a shed on fire at 78 Carvell Road at a residence owned by Rocky Hill Jr.  around 10:30 p.m. 

When firefighters arrived, they found that the shed was ablaze and the flames had spread to the nearby house. Firefighters were told that all occupants had fled the house before the department had arrived. 

Twenty firefighters from Mapleton, Castle Hill and Chapman, Presque Isle Fire and Washburn Fire worked to put out the blaze and save the structure. There was extensive damage to the roof, as well as to the wall facing the shed, firefighters said. 

Emera Maine was called to cut the power to the structure and provide the firefighters protection. 

In addition, a metal roof that had been placed over multiple layers of shingles caused issues as firefighters attempted to get to the fire at the roofline.

Firefighters left the scene at 1:30 a.m. Wednesday. There were no injuries.

Hill did not have insurance on the home and is staying with family.